Wednesday 3 March 2010

Place 7: Aiguille du Midi, Chamonix, France

Look at this pic: phenomenal! It looks like Mordor! Unfortunately, the reduced size of the snap doesn't do it much justice. You can see a much larger version here.

Following on from my previous post, I also feel that I should credit it correctly. The photographer is Matthew Turley and the snap can be found on the pdn 'Photo of the Day' website. For a photography fan, this is one of my favourite sites. There are some superb pictures up here and a real diversity of images. I highly recommend checking out their archive.

A chance glimpse at this picture has single-handedly inspired a raging desire to visit. I've had a fascination with snow-capped peaks and cold places for ages and ages. This was fuelled further by watching 'Touching the Void' - have you seen it? It's about a couple of climbers who go through a horrific ordeal climbing in South America and is based on a true story. The cinematography is spectacular - the snowy mountains look like they're covered in cake icing. Snow-capped mountains seem to radiate a sense of peace and awe, but also absolute terror. I've never been anywhere like this before and would LOVE to go. I'm not particularly tempted by skiing or snowboarding, but the apres-ski might be quite fun, after a day sitting in a hot-tub, beer in hand, gazing out at the wondrous landscape. Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment