Tuesday 23 March 2010

Thing 11: Podcasts


Ooh - podcasts! I regularly make full use of the "Listen again" option on the BBC Radio website, but have never ventured into the exciting world of podcasts (and, yes; I do consider them "exciting"). I made an beeline for BBC6 Music, which is one of the only stations I'm aware of that features such an eclectic mix of credible music styles. If you're familiar with it, you probably also know that it's facing closure, which would be a crying shame.

After a bit of snouting about, I discovered a MusicWeek episode featuring Goldfrapp talking about their new 80s influenced album, which ticks a lot of boxes for me. I duly clicked the Google Reader box on their 'subscribe for free' section but rather than selecting the 'Add to Google Reader', I chose 'Add to Google Homepage', which is loads better and an option I didn't know existed. I rarely check the RSS feed, but log into Google most days, so to be able to get a summary of what's going on at BBC6 Music is brilliant (see pic above)! I've done the same with Women's Hour as well, which I also love.

One weird thing that happened when I added my series of choice to my Google Homepage was that it completely crashed my Firefox. All my tabs shut down, which was annoying. When I subscribed to Women's Hour the same thing happened again. I'm not sure if this is a fault with the programme or my partner's computer (although I suspect the latter...).

It was great to have some links to more podcast sites, so I started exploring and clicked on to podcast.com. Now, I've seen everything; podcasts on sex?! It is the internet, I guess and 23 things did specify that it had podcasts "on every conceivable subject". Ha! Despite my sniggers, I genuinely think that this is one of the best things about the internet - enabling individuals to reach out to one another, offer advice and support and build communities. For the kid struggling with his sexuality in some hick town in the mid-west, the internet is probably the best thing that ever happened to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment