Wednesday 31 March 2010

Thing 14: Getting connected on LinkedIn

Hmmm... despite my minimal knowledge of LinkedIn, I'm a bit sceptical of online communities that exist for networking and professional purposes. This shouldn't really be the case as the option of networking online is far, far preferable to actually doing it in the flesh (shudder).

I was instantly turned off when required to input my job title. I'm a PA and, to the best of my knowledge, there is no career path for PAs. You're a PA for someone - and then you're a PA to someone else. End of story. As much as I like working for JoAnne, I have no intention of working as a PA for life. All of the jobs I've had since graduating have been convenient and circumstantial while I've enjoyed being young and fancy free. Establishing exactly what kind of career I'd like to pursue and how to go about it in the current climate is an ongoing challenge.

The point I'm making is that I most certainly don't want to hook up with other PAs on the sole basis that we have our job in common. I don't want suggestions for other PA jobs and I'm not looking for other PA jobs! As a result, it seems superfluous to state my occupation as PA, so I put down "Admin muppet" instead. Childish anarchism? Perhaps...

Another turn-off is the international flavour of the site. In theory, I think reaching out globally is a positive thing - except when it comes to the job market. I'd be reluctant to use such a forum to search for legitimate and worthwhile jobs and feel that even something as simple as the comparison between a UK and US approach to work is enough to make me think that a local and more specific approach would be more worthwhile for users. I wonder how many people have actually made worthwhile contacts or attracted business through LinkedIn? It has to have some benefits though, or I guess it wouldn't exist!

I looked at the 'jobs' option for Oxford and it only produced four results. I tried for London and it produced 338 results, which was a improvement. I suppose this could be one area to explore further...

I don't wanna hook up with pals and contacts from my personal email address book here! I like keeping work and play separate and can see no earthly reason or benefit for making "professional" connections with pals. Despite my initial opposition, I don't think I'm being entirely fair and suspect I'm allowing my prejudices to get the better of me... I think more time and exploration is required before I can write off - or LinkIn to! - LinkedIn completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment