Wednesday 3 March 2010

Thing 8: Edit images with Picnik

Call me a self-righteous puritan but, as a rule, I am categorically opposed to meddling with photographs. OK - some things are fine (reducing red-eye, for example) but I just think it's weird to doctor your photos until they no longer resemble the reality. I have a 'friend' who insists on showing me and my partner entire slide-shows of holiday photographs which have all been tweaked and doctored and I just find it all quite boring. I want realism, not an 'airbrushed' version!

Despite this, I did have a snout about on some other people's blogs and enjoyed what they'd done with their editing tools. 'Catherine's xxiii things' had a good neon-ified pic that I quite wanted to try and recreate, but I could only see quite basic editing tools...

(10 minutes later)... I obviously didn't look properly as I've now clicked 'create' and it's given me loads of options! This is ace (easily pleased)! The 'effects' tab was great - see below:

... but again, I've spoken too soon. I thought it would be simple enough to take a picture, edit it, save the new picture, go back into the original picture, edit it and save it again (are you still with me?), but it doesn't seem to like this. Boo! I was starting to enjoy myself! When I try and go into the original picture, it just keeps asking if I want to save my newly edited version, which I'd already done, then it takes me away from my Flickr set. Grrr!

OK - finally sorted. See below:












Original pic * "Nightvision" shot - spooky! * "Drawing" shot - brilliant! I can now pass off lots of photos as personal artwork!

I appreciate that 23 things is supposed to be a learning exercise, but I've spent WAY too long fiddling around with these various pics. Good knowledge, though! I really like being creative with existing pics and it's something I think I'll definitely come back to.

On another matter, is anyone else finding posting images on Blogger a bit like hard work? I've spent ages formatting the snaps above, in a futile effort to get them to where they want to go (they didn't cooperate). I wonder if WordPress is similarly awkward?

3 comments:

  1. And, there we have it (see above). Blogger is rubbish!! I spent AGES fiddling around with my snaps to try and get them all aligned with the related text in the right place, and now it's been published, the text is all over the place. Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely with you on Blogger being hopeless at pictures - I'm used to Livejournal, where you just put the html straight in. Switching to the html editor in Blogger gave me a little more control and did save me all kinds of headaches. If you're happy with basic coding, I recommend it!

    I love the bottom picture - the sketch effect is brilliant! One thing I've liked about Picnik is being able to fix photos taken in dim light. It really sorted out the colours for me, making it look like the actual thing rather than looking artificial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh - that's good to know! My camera's a bit useless at taking pics in dim light/night-time, so if there's an option to 'fix' this, I'd welcome it.

    Unfortunately, I'm not really happy with basic coding, although I'd like to be!! I might have to explore this further...

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete