Thursday 15 April 2010

Thing 20: Sign in to ThinkFree office

Hmmm... not sure about this. I think that ThinkFree office is too similar to Google Docs to be worthy of its own "thing"! Despite this, I actually think I'd prefer to go with ThinkFree if I needed to use a shared space, for no obvious explicable reason. It might be because my experience with Google docs was not a positive one, or maybe because it's not Google it seems marginally (or comparatively) less corporate and omnipotent. As you could sign-in using your Google log-in, they may very well be in cohorts, but it doesn't really make sense for Google to have two near identical shared space sites, although I could be wildly underestimating their desire to monopolise the market!

Similarly to Google docs, I like the idea of having free shared spaces that multiple users can access and edit. I'm not sure if it was because I'd just installed the Java thing, but when I tried to edit my document it was prohibitively slow.

One thing I did like was being able to access other people's documents (I'm not sure if this is an option on Google docs). I read an interesting piece on social media marketing and had the option of saving it into my office, which I did! Having this option really extends the boundaries of such a site, elevating it to a mini knowledge centre, which can only be a good thing. With so many documents stored on the site, there's bound to be something of interest or relevance to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment