Monday 15 February 2010

Things 5 & 6

Thing 5: "Sign up for Google Reader and subscribe to updates from this blog".

Thing 6: "Find more RSS feeds to subscribe to".

Erk! Things are so busy at work and I'm really behind here... February is already looking like it's going to be my most hectic month of the entire year - in and out of work - so I'm struggling to stay afloat. I might have to spend the first few weeks of March catching up on February's "things" and "places".

So: subscribing to RSS feeds and Google Reader. This all seemed pretty self-explanatory and I like the idea of having instantaneous updates to blogs I'm following (which happen to be a lot).

The first site I tried to subscribe to is "Eat, Sleep, Cupcake". It's a site where people share and show-off their fabulous cake making ventures, many of which are seriously high grade munch! None of your Victoria sandwiches here (a humble cake which I happen to love, for the record - massively underrated, in my opinion) - check out the Valentine's cake below!

I'm not sure who 'I Am Baker' is (proud creator of the glorious cake on the left), but they're welcome round ours any day!

Ahem - back to the RSS feeds...

The 'Eat, Sleep, Cupcake' site has a sidebar reading 'subscribe', but no URL address, so I manually copied and pasted it into my Google Reader account, as directed. Voila! Glorious cake making to inspire and salivate over around the clock!

I've also subscribed to Alan's (lower reading room library assistant) sketch blog, which is really impressive. How on earth can he produce something like that in less than sixty seconds? Baffling and brilliant.

Other blogs I've subscribed to include:

- ColorByNumbers (v pleasing and inspiring art and design blog)

- Little White Lies film magazine blog

- Birds Eye View blog (utterly fantastical female film-making collective) STOP PRESS! When I clicked the 'subscribe to' button, I was directed to a page full of raw HTML nonsense. Oh dear. I tried copying and pasting the URL into my Google Reader, but when I pressed 'add', a box appeared stating that this particular website doesn't provide a feed. It offered to create a feed for me, however, which I thought was very enterprising, so duly pressed 'create feed'. Only problem now is that the 'summary' screen is blank. I'm not sure if this is my mistake, theirs or just a technical impossibility...

No comments:

Post a Comment