Wednesday 27 January 2010

Thing 2

"Customise your iGoogle page so that it contains at least 5 gadgets. To do this, click on 'Add stuff' and browse by categories (on the left-hand side), see what's popular by clicking on 'Most users', what's new by clicking on 'Newest' or use the search box.If you have chosen Time or Weather, edit the settings so the information is accurate for where you are. Change the Theme of your iGoogle page – choose any design that pleases you. You could change your web browser’s settings so that your iGoogle page is your homepage."

In theory, this is brilliant! As suggested, I've now made iGoogle my homepage and love having lots of useful gadgets and a more aesthetically pleasing background to look at, as opposed to the standard template. The gadgets I chose are:

- weather (in the grand British tradition, I'm a woman obsessed)
- quotes of the day
- 1000 places to see before you die (more inspiration for my 23 places)
- useless knowledge (not so much 'useless' as 'random'. Either way, I'm enjoying it!)
- word of the day (I'm always hungry for more knowledge, so this suits me nicely)
- National Geographic pics (as above, more inspiration - and I love photography)
- Rolling Stone features (inspiration of a more musical flavour... I've already read about Arcade Fire and Patti Smith. Brilliant!)
- Yahoo! Mail
- Facebook (for my sins...)

Unfortunately, I can't show you what it looks like because I don't know how!! I'm getting very frustrated as I can see other people's screenshots on their blogs, but don't know how to 'paste' mine into this blog. I'm not given the option of 'saving' the screenshot either, so don't really know where to go from here... any suggestions? Once I can get the screenshot up, I can begin with the other problems blighting my iGoogle page. I'm not able to respond to people's comments, either. Oh dear...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo,

    Sorry you're having trouble - I'll try some step by step instructions for you:

    1. Get your iGoogle page maximised on your screen.
    2. Press and hold the [Ctrl] key, then press the [Print Screen] key above the numberpad. This copies the contents of your screen to your clipboard.
    3. Open up Paint - if you can't find it, it's under 'Accessories' in your list of programs on your start menu.
    4. When you have Paint open, you can paste in your screenshot in the usual way ([Ctrl]+[V] or 'Edit > Paste'). An image of your screen should now fill your Paint window.
    5. Save this image to somewhere you can easily find it - your desktop or documents folder. It should save as a .bmp image file by default.
    6. Now go into the posting screen of your blog. In the toolbar at the top of the posting box look for the 'insert image' icon (a little picture, next to the 'link' button). Click on this.
    7. You should get a box popping up where you can upload your screenshot that you just saved. It will then appear in your posting box.

    Does that help? Let me know if you're still having difficulties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Jane - that's done the job nicely. And, I can even comment now, too! Yes!

    ReplyDelete