Tuesday 26 January 2010

Place 1: Iceland

I'll start with somewhere I've wanted to go for ages: Iceland. Numerous things aroused my interest in the country, not least the most divine book of photographs that I happened upon during my short stint in the bookstack. WOW. The title of the collection is 'Lost in Iceland' by Sigurgeir Sigurjonsson (shelfmark M07.D00338) and it's really something special. The places he captures and the colours are just spectacular - well worth a look.

I have a real fascination and pull to the far north; I just love the endless rolling desolate landscapes and really respond to the bleakness and isolation. The further north I travel, the more magical it feels. So much of it is still so untouched and romantic... sigh! In addition to exploring the wonders of the wilderness, I'd love to spend time in Reykjavik. I've heard it's quite a party city, although I'm not sure how much I fancy paying the equivalent of £7 for a pint of beer - ouch! Some time out relaxing in an outdoor geothermal pool, before getting horizontal to check out the aurora borealis would round the stay off nicely... blissful.

Important note: for the experience to live up to the dream, there would be no sunshine during my stay. Yep, you heard right! I want it dark, moody and bleak... perfect.

Soundtrack to my trip: Fever Ray

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I like you idea of 23 places you'd like to visit. Iceland has never really been onmy list but after seeing these pictures and reading your reasoning, I'm very tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to take the Ramblers walking tour around Iceland in the summer, but I agree with you that the winter-time would be another magical moment. Are you a fan of Bjork?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gigi! Sorry - I've only just seen your comment...

    A walking tour around Iceland sounds wonderful. I like Bjork in moderation, but much prefer Fever Ray. Have you heard 'em? Well worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete